Oct 19, 2010

I'm not quite reliable

So, as it turns out I'm not quite as reliable as I pretended to be in the last post. I didn't go to that Iron Cross show, nor did I go to Wormtown Brewery's Oktoberfest. I did, however, get a chance to see a show that I'll talk about instead. Maybe I'll describe myself as spontaneous instead of unreliable.
Anyway, the show I went to was at the Hotel Vernon in Kelly Square. It was a Worcide benefit show. Apparently some "crooked fuckers" (credit FYC) broke into their tool shed, stole equipment, and ruined the bags of concrete they were going to use for the next little skate park job. Bummer, right? So it was donations (aka free, although I helped out) and Vernon has $1 draft beers - sweet deal.

I showed up a little bit late and the first band I caught was Bovachevo; an interesting four piece of some older dudes who put on a great show. Some parts, and the tone (although it could just be the ship room in the Vernon) reminded me of older Botch mixed with classic punk feel. The somewhat awkward yet maliciously grooving guitar riffs with a simple, yet hearty and appropriate blend of fast paced drums really set the stage for the frontman/bassist who really held everything together with his intensity. Although somewhat repetitive at times, some parts were very intriguing and it was a great taste of variety that I haven't seen very often in 2010, especially in Worcester. Next up was It's Alive (not on the flier), a modern prototypical punk/hardcore band who had a really fun set. The frontman was dressed for halloween (I'm assuming) in what looked like a lucha libre version of Captain America, streamers and all. Though not terribly original, they play what people know and love, and those kids really do know and love fun - it was a very a "wholesome" set. Like your grandmother's pot pie. The last band I stayed for was Tinsel Teeth from Providence, RI and they weren't quite your average homebrew. They were like taking fake blood, masks, girls, hardcore, and tossing it all together in some oddly sexual milkshake that won't bring (many) boys to the yard.  Though more of a punk/hardcore Lady Gaga meets Slipknot-esque stage show than a traditional set (like It's Alive's), it was interesting and entertaining to say the least. In the first song of the set, the frontwoman proceeded to take her skirt off, eat fake blood, throw her wig on the floor, and do some booty-grindin' with some guys up front, all while the rest of the shirtless, masked members played the music. Though far from the most thought out music, the set was not your average bear, and really was quite entertaining - especially because I think the band displayed an overarching air of unconventional femininity, which is something rarely seen in punk/hardcore these days.
Tinsel Teeth
I didn't get a chance to stay for the rest of the show, and I showed up late, so this is all I really got a chance to review. All great bands though, go out and see them if you get a chance!
Links:
It's Alive - I can't find it online. Let me know if you know their page.


No comments:

Post a Comment