Nov 16, 2010

Synapse Fest, Day One

Although I didn't stay for the entire day (per usual) and showed up late (per usual) all in all what I saw was phenomenal and if you weren't there, well, you fucked up. I managed to catch The Young Leaves, Uzuhi (NYC), The Hotel Year, Algernon Cadwallader, All Set, Now Denial and Sinaloa before I left. I managed to film some video, but I'm not much of a videographer, so bear with me.

When I arrived, The Young Leaves were in the middle of their set and weren't half bad, although they weren't quite half-good either - I wasn't particularly impressed. But when you're playing a 2pm(ish) time-slot to a room full of bands and their girlfriends (and me, I guess) it's hard to play like its your last chance on stage. Not bad though; a little cleanup on tone, a tighter set with less tuning etc. between songs and a greater stage presence will help these guys out a lot.

Next was Uzuhi, originally from Japan, now relocated to NYC.

I expected an interesting set, but this band blew my mind, almost literally. This was the kind of set I shouldn't get to see on a tiny stage on a Saturday afternoon, but I'm not complaining; Uzuhi belongs on a big bill tour with someone like Andrew WK. Full of energy, presence, style, variety, jokes, sincerity, and a well-ordered set, Uzuhi was like opening an unexpected sweet gift from a rich relative: "Holy shit, really? This is awesome!" Except that the sweet gift was Uzuhi and the rich relative was The Raven. I'm not sure if it's awesome to The Raven as your rich relative or not yet... Either way, go see Uzuhi if you get the chance, this band's character and refreshing style is well worth it.



Uzuhi live at The Raven in Worcester, Massachusetts

Algernon Cadwallader followed soon after Uzuhi with a great set, as I had hoped and expected.

I've wanted to see this band live for quite a while now, so my opinion of their live set may be a little biased (although I don't think the bias even matters much - this band is great nearly any way you look at it). This Kinsella influenced American Football-esque band is one of the most upbeat and readily enjoyable bands I've ever heard - and the live set reflected this. Upbeat, yet down to earth, fun and energetic, yet sincere and well, energetic, Algernon Cadwallader is something you have to hear for yourself (but it's also fun to try to figure out how to say their name. Hint: pronunciation is on their Myspace... now you have to click). 

Algernon Cadwallader playing "Some Kind of Cadwallader" and "Look Down" at The Raven in Worcester, Massachusetts

Undeniably fun, amirite? "OH MAN, IT'S TAKING ME OVER!" It's great. Note the drummers shirt that says, "band t-shirt". Made me chuckle a little. One of my favorite parts of their set (not recorded) was a song opening beginning with rim clicks on the drums, which started. And then kept going, and going, while the vocalist (intentionally) talked to us about the day, etc. Poor drummer looked like he might pass out from the repetition. 
Algernon Cadwallader playing "Spit Fountain" at The Raven in Worcester, Massachusetts

You could tell a lot of the people who showed up early on Saturday were there for Algernon (myself included).
 
The room was filled with energy and it was a set I won't soon forget - I hope to go to Philadelphia soon (their hometown) to catch another show of theirs. Great excuse to go down there and get a philly cheese steak...

Next was All Set from Milford, Massachusetts. This uptempo "optimistic" pop-punk band isn't exactly my cup of tea by any means, but they're pretty damn good at what they play, and I've really got to give them credit for that. I could easily see a younger version of myself being absolutely enthralled by this band (and I mean this in the most positive way possible). They sounded very solid and put forth a professional stage presence - although they could very well be some of the nicest kids on earth. They handed out an EP after their set (thanks, guys) with 5 songs on it. It's recorded very well and is well worth a listen. Hit them on myspace and get your hands on a copy!

Now Denial from Lowell/Boston put on a pretty great set after All Set. They too put on a strong live set, although I think it was slightly lacking in the stage presence department. I think this is partially intentional, especially considering some of the slower tempo parts present in their songs, many of which throw down for 4-5 minutes without becoming repetitive or uninteresting. Some of the guitar parts were monstrous, reminiscent of Baroness or Torche, although many other parts were nothing like them and had a much more straight forward feel. I think Now Denial put on a contrasting set complete with long developing parts as well as right down the rail jams that kept it all interesting. With some more energy and a slightly more tight-knit live show (parts here and there seemed slightly off) I think they'll be a great band to watch live. And check out their artwork too - it's great.

Now Denial playing live at The Raven in Worcester, Massachusetts


No comments:

Post a Comment